Martha Cheung Award
The Baker Centre for Translation and Intercultural Studies
is pleased to announce the launch of
The Martha Cheung Award for Best English Article in Translation Studies
by an Early Career Scholar
The Award is established in honour of the late Professor Martha Cheung (1953-2013), formerly Chair Professor of Translation at Hong Kong Baptist University. Professor Cheung was an internationally renowned scholar whose work on Chinese discourse on translation made a seminal contribution to the reconceptualization of translation from non-Western perspectives. For a brief biography and a list of her most important publications, see Professor Martha Pui Yiu Cheung’s Publications.
The Martha Cheung Award aims to recognize research excellence in the output of early career researchers, and to allow them, like Professor Cheung herself, to make their voices heard in the international arena and play a role in charting the future directions of research in the discipline. The restriction of the award to articles published in English is also intended to ensure consistency in the assessment process.
The award is conferred annually for the best paper published in English in the previous two-year period, and takes the form of a cash prize of 10,000 RMB. A certificate from the SISU Baker Centre for Translation and Intercultural Studies will also be presented.
- Applicants must have completed their PhD during the five-year period preceding the deadline for submission of applications, or be currently registered for a PhD.
- Given the emphasis on early career scholars, the award is restricted to single-authored articles: co-authored articles will not be considered.
- The scholarly article submitted must be already published. Work accepted for publication but in press will not be considered.
- The term ‘published’ also covers online publication
- The article must have been published in English, in a peer-reviewed journal of good standing. Book chapters and entries in reference works do not qualify.
- The article does not have to have appeared in a journal of translation or interpreting. Journals of media, linguistics, postcolonial studies, cultural studies, etc. all qualify, as long as the article engages with translation/interpreting in a sustained manner.
- Submissions will be assessed solely on their scholarly merit, as judged by a panel of established scholars; considerations such as formal journal ranking and impact factor will not form part of the judging criteria.
- The article may present research relating to any area of translation, interpreting or intercultural studies, and may draw on any theoretical models or methodologies.
- Applicants can only submit an article once. Resubmissions of articles already assessed in an earlier round will not be admitted.
Applicants may apply directly themselves for the award, or their work may be nominated by other scholars. A full copy of the article should be submitted in e-copy, in pdf format, together with the completed application/nomination form, downloadable here. Completed, typed applications should be sent to the Award Committee at this address: email@example.com. The Committee will not consider handwritten applications.
For the submission of articles published between 30 September 2018 and 30 September 2020:
Application closing date for the 2021 Award: 31 October 2020
Announcement of award winner: 31 March 2021
The Martha Cheung Award is sponsored by Eagle Eye Translation Service Co. Ltd. Based in Shanghai, with branches in Shenzhen, Fuzhou, Wuhan and the UK, Eagle Eye Translation Service (http://www.ygym.org/) offers professional translation, interpreting and localization services and is committed to nurturing educational links.