[Job Vacancy] University Assistant (prae doc) at the Centre for Translation Studies
University Assistant (prae doc)at the Centre for Translation Studies
Reference number: 10529
The Centre for Translation Studies is seeking a University assistant (prae doc) in the field of Transcultural Communication (Prof. Dr. Cornelia Zwischenberger) with a focus on the use of the translation concept beyond Translation Studies (“translational turn”) from a transdisciplinary/transcultural perspective on translation.
The Centre for Translation Studies (ZTW) at the University of Vienna, Austria is one of 20 academic units (faculties and centres) of the University of Vienna. In addition to the area of teaching (transcultural communication, translation studies, translation and interpreting education in 14 languages, etc.), the Centre conducts research in several key research areas. Cutting-edge research is conducted by professors, habilitated staff members, predoctoral and postdoctoral researchers, senior lecturers and many more. More than 120 lecturers teach translation-related subjects to about 3,000 undergraduate and postgraduate students.
Duration of employment: 4 year/s
Extent of Employment: 30 hours/week
Job grading in accordance with collective bargaining agreement: §48 VwGr. B1 Grundstufe (praedoc) with relevant work experience determining the assignment to a particular salary grade.
– Active participation in research, teaching and administration in the field of Transcultural Communication with Prof. Dr. Cornelia Zwischenberger; with a focus on the use of the translation concept beyond Translation Studies in comparison with the translation concept(s) in Translation Studies from a transdisciplinary and transcultural perspective.
– Writing a PhD-thesis and scientific publications on the use of the translation concept beyond Translation studies
– Signing a PhD-thesis-agreement (within 12-18 months)
– Autonomous teaching according to the collective agreements
– (Participation in) Supervising students
– Involvement in organizing conferences, research projects, publications and lectures
– Participation in applying for projects and external funding
– graduate (MA, Magister or diploma studies) in Translation Studies
– research interest in the translation concept as used beyond Translation Studies
– solid knowledge on the theories and methods in Translation Studies and Transcultural Communication
– excellent command of both written and spoken German
– very good command of both written and spoken English
– very good written and oral command of a further language present at the Centre
– competent software user (MS Office)
– ability to work in a team
It is desirable for the successful candidate to have:
– previous teaching experience/experience with e-learning
– graduate thesis on the use of the concept of translation beyond Translation Studies
– knowledge on the various uses of the translation concept outside Translation Studies
– knowledge on university processes and structures
– international experience
– experience in research and first publications (apart from the graduate thesis)
To be enclosed in your application (in English or German):
– letter of motivation
– academic CV (including a possible list of publications)
– proof of previous teaching (if applicable)
– outline of your intended PhD thesis (3-5 pages)
– copies of your graduate certificates (BA- and MA-certificates, diploma)
Main research field
|Special research fields||Importance|
Linguistics and Literature
Applications including a letter of motivation (German or English) should be submitted via the Job Center to the University of Vienna (http://jobcenter.univie.ac.at) no later than 05.04.2020, mentioning reference number 10529.
For further information please contact Zwischenberger, Cornelia .
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (http://diversity.univie.ac.at/). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.