[Job Vacancy] Senior Lecturer, Translation Studies
Startdate: 01.03.2024 | Working hours: 30 | Collective bargaining agreement: §48 VwGr. B1 lit. b (postdoc)
Limited until: 29.02.2028
Reference no.: 1356
Do you enjoy working with young people, are you curious, and do you want to pass on your knowledge? As a Senior Lecturer, you play a crucial role in educating students.
In addition to providing a solid academic education, we also place a special emphasis on the personal development of students. We support students in developing a curious and problem-solving mindset, thereby creating a solid foundation for the professional challenges of the next generation.
The Centre for Translation Studies has a staff of about 150 researchers and teachers and 10 employees in administration. Research at the Centre focuses on two key research areas: 1) technologies and socio-cognitive processes in translation and interpreting, and 2) translation and interpreting in social, institutional and media contexts. The Centre offers the following study programmes: Bachelor’s programme “Transcultural Communication”, Master’s programme “Translation” and Master’s programme “Multilingual Technologies”, with 14 languages and currently 2000 students.
Your contract includes research-based teaching in our BA and MA programmes (BA Transcultural Communication and MA Translation), with a focus on translation and interpreting. Extent of employment: 30.0 hours/week, which include a teaching assignment of 10.5 hours scientific classes on average per semester.
In the case of a positive evaluation at the end of the fixed-term period of 4 years, the position will be given a permanent contract.
- You will teach courses at all levels of the BA (language, text, culture, and translation) and MA (translation and interpreting).
- You will contribute to the (further) development of course and examination formats.
- We expect the successful candidate to keep informed about the current state of research, to undergo continuing education and training in didactics and to conduct research when no classes are being held.
- In addition, the University of Vienna expects the successful candidate to take on administrative tasks, in particular with a focus on the administration of teaching.
Prerequisites for a successful application:
- doctoral degree/PhD in Translation Studies or Interpreting Studies
- working languages: English, German and at least another language that is offered at the Centre for Translation Studies and English (A or B language)
- several years of teaching experience at a post-secondary educational institution
- knowledge of translation didactics and experience in the development of didactic concepts and examination formats for university teaching (including digital teaching experience)
- independent translation/interpreting research that falls under one of the Centre’s key research areas and practical translation and/or interpreting experience
- enthusiasm for the sharing of knowledge and university teaching
What we offer:
Work-life balance: Our employees enjoy flexible working hours, remote/hybrid and/or part-time work (upon agreement).
Inspiring working atmosphere: You are a part of an international academic team with excellent research infrastructure. You work with young adults who want to learn from you and gain knowledge and skills.
Good public transport connections: Your workplace in the center of beautiful Vienna is easily accessible by public transport.
Internal further training & Coaching: Opportunity to deepen your skills on an ongoing basis. There are over 600 courses to choose from – free of charge.
Fair salary: The basic salary of EUR 4.351,90 (on a fulltime basis) increases if we can credit professional experience.
Equal opportunities for everyone: We look forward to diverse personalities in the team!
It is that easy to apply:
- CV and degree certificates/transcripts
- Proof of teaching experience (where appropriate, with course evaluation results)
- Letter of intent (max. 2 pages)
- Teaching concept (max. 2 pages)
- List of held courses
- List of publications
- List of research projects (where appropriate) or participation in research projects
- Via our job portal/ Apply now – button
If you have any questions, please contact:
We look forward to new personalities in our team!
The University of Vienna has an anti-discriminatory employment policy and attaches great importance to equal opportunities, the advancement of women and diversity. We lay special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions among the academic and general university staff and therefore expressly encourage qualified women to apply. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female candidates.
University of Vienna. Space for personalities. Since 1365.
Application deadline: 11/05/2023
(Senior) Lecturer & Researcher