[Job Vacancy] FACULTY POSITION IN TRANSLATION AND INTERPRETING
School: Humanities and Social Sciences
Contract Type: Fixed-term, renewable. 3rd contract is open-ended
In 2006 Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) was created by the University of Liverpool and Xi’an Jiaotong University – a top ten university in China. Offering a unique international education experience, XJTLU brings together excellent research practice and expertise from both institutions and gives students the skills and knowledge they need to secure careers in a global marketplace. XJTLU now has over 25,000 enrolled students in both Suzhou and Liverpool in the UK, with plans to grow to about 28,000 students by 2025. There are currently about 2,000 staff, of which about 1,000 are academic staff, with an almost even split between citizens of the People’s Republic of China and international passport holders. XJTLU offers our undergraduates and postgraduates over 100 programmes with a diverse spectrum of courses.
XJTLU is entering a new and exciting phase of its development as part of its strategic priorities for the next ten years. Adopting a new higher education model based on the concept of Syntegrative Education (SE), XJTLU is currently opening a new Entrepreneurial Education site in Taicang, part of wider Suzhou, where the Entrepreneur College (Taicang) is located. The Taicang site will be a pioneer of, and educational model for, the future campus in addressing challenges arising from the 4th Industrial Revolution. Other new initiatives include new working partnerships with Xi’an Jiaotong University, the continued development of the four new Academies, and exploration of further potential locations to develop the SE model.
With a focus on innovative learning and teaching, and research, XJTLU draws on the strengths of its parent universities, and plays a pivotal role in facilitating access to China for UK and other institutional partners. At same time, XJTLU is exploring future education by blending educational theory, best practice and culture from west and east.
For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn.
ABOUT Department of Translation and Interpreting (School of Humanities and Social Sciences)
The growing Department of Translation and Interpreting is an integral part of the School of Humanities and Social Sciences. Vibrant and dynamic, the Department owns a BA Translation and Interpreting programme, which offers a rich selection of theoretical and practical modules, including translation and interpreting theories, practical translation, specialised translation (journalistic, business, law, audio-visual, etc.), translation technology and localisation, and all levels of interpreting. The Department also contributes to teaching a Translation and Interpreting pathway of the four popular UG English programmes. In addition, staff recruit and supervise PhD projects on topics related to their research areas.
The Department operates two laboratories with the most advanced equipment and facilities designed for professional training in translation, consecutive interpreting, and simultaneous interpreting.
Staff in the Department of Translation and Interpreting have a wide range of research specialisations, including translating China, audio-visual translation, cultural translation, translation education, discourse analysis for translation, translation technology, and interpreting studies.
Please read further about the Department’s research, teaching, and staff profiles by exploring these two sites:
Department of Translation and Interpreting:
BA Translation and Interpreting:
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
We seek an appointee with excellent research, teaching and supervision qualifications who will contribute to the Department’s research and teaching profiles. The appointee is expected to perform the following duties:
- To contribute to the undergraduate teaching programmes: BA Translation and Interpreting and the Translation & Interpreting Pathway of the four English programmes.
- To contribute to designing, developing, planning and implementing high-quality curriculum and assessment activities.
- To supervise or assist with the supervision of undergraduate and research graduate (PhD) students.
- To produce research and publications of international excellence.
- To obtain internal and external research funding support.
- To engage with the broader scholarly communities.
- To take on administrative responsibilities as required by the Department, School, and University.
- To maintain own continuing professional development.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and strong interpersonal skills.
- Evidence of departmental citizenship and teamwork.
- The ability to adapt to institutional changes, identify desired outcomes and achieve goals within a specified timeframe.
- PhD in Translation and Interpreting Studies, or a relevant related discipline.
- A strong knowledge of the subject area combined with a broad subject background enabling contributions to teaching programmes.
- Evidence of ability to design and teach research-led modules in the department’s offered areas.
- Proven record of ability to conduct good quality research in translation and interpreting studies or interdisciplinary areas.
- Evidence of clear research, funding, and publication strategy.
Successful applicants to Associate Professor are expected to also show:
- Publication in leading journals or with reputable publishers.
- A track record of PhD supervision to completion.
- Evidence of successful research grant applications and networking.
- A willingness to take a leading role in the department.
- Experience with academic programme management and curriculum design.
- Higher Education Teaching qualification, HEA Fellowship status, or a related teaching qualification.
- Proven cross-cultural sensitivity.
- Familiarity with China and Chinese higher education.
- Familiarity with the British system of higher education.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa in the P.R. China.
- Clear career development path with annual review.
- Professional development trainings are provided.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
1. Allowances include:
- Housing allowance
- Education allowance for dependent children
- Travel allowance
- Relocation allowance
2. Commercial insurance: international insurance plans customized for XJTLU staff and family members ((details refer to the University Policy)
3. Paid holidays, to include:
- Statutory Holidays (11 days)
- Annual Leave (36 days)
- Family Matters Leave
- Paid Sick Leave
- Marriage Leave
- Paternity Leave
- Parental leave
- Bereavement Leave
4. Working visa and residence permit in China: XJTLU will sponsor working visa and residence permit in China
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application on our university website, by clicking the ‘Apply’ button.
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- • A current CV, including, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- • Contact Details for three referees.
Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry.