[Job Vacancy] Assistant Professor of Spanish Translation and Interpretation
Posting Number: 202200342F
Employee Benefits: Colorado State University (CSU) is committed to providing employees with a strong and competitive benefits package that supports you, your health, and your family. Visit CSU’s Human Resources website for detailed benefit plan information for permanent full-time and part-time faculty and administrative professional employees in the following University benefit areas: https://hr.colostate.edu/hr-community-and-supervisors/benefits/benefits-eligibility/ and https://hr.colostate.edu/prospective-employees/our-perks/.
Position Type: Faculty
Work Hours/Week: 40
% Research: 35
% Teaching: 50
% Service: 15
% Administration: 0
To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by 11:59pm (MT) on 11/28/2022
Desired Start Date: 08/16/2023
Position Summary: Assistant Professor of Spanish Translation and Interpretation with a solid foundation in language pedagogy and the theory, practice and teaching of Translation and Interpreting Studies. This is a nine-month, tenure-track appointment to begin August 16, 2023.
· Teach five undergraduate and graduate courses per year
· Work collaboratively with colleagues to re-envision and expand our current translation program in the department
· Engage in research and publication
· Mentor and advise students
· Assist the department in outreach and recruitment
· Provide service to the department, university, and profession
Required Job Qualifications
· Ph.D. or equivalent, with specialization in Spanish Translation and Interpretation Studies or related field, from a regionally accredited U.S. institution
· Experience in Spanish for legal services and translation technologies
· Experience teaching Spanish-to-English and English-to-Spanish legal T&I courses
· Demonstrated interest and experience in language pedagogy with career-oriented outcomes
· Advanced-High or higher proficiency on the ACTFL scale in Spanish and English
Preferred Job Qualifications
· Experience in teaching with technology and developing online courses.
· Interest in serving heritage language students and ability to integrate heritage language teaching methodologies into a T&I curriculum
· Teamwork experience and demonstrated interest in interdisciplinary program development and potential for engaging in collaborative projects across academic units
· Demonstrated interest in applied humanities and community engagement
· Working proficiency in a third language and ability to apply curricular development principles to languages other than Spanish. The Department currently offers courses in Arabic, ASL, Chinese, French, Italian, German, Japanese, Korean, Spanish, and Russian.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants should submit a letter of interest; a current curriculum vitae; a writing sample (10-20 pages); a dossier which includes evidence of teaching potential; and three letters of reference. Applicants will submit contact information for their three references. Once applicants submit their application, emails will be sent to their references requesting them to upload the reference letter. A complete application must include all three letters of reference to be submitted by 12/05/2022. (one week after the full consideration date of 11/28).
Cover letters can be addressed to Professor Velazquez-Castillo, Chair, Spanish Translation and Interpretation Search Committee, Department of Languages, Literatures and Cultures, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523-1774.
Application materials of all semifinalist candidates, including letters of reference, will be made available for review by the entire faculty of the Department of Languages, Literatures & Cultures.
Please visit the Colorado State University job vacancy web page: https://jobs.colostate.edu/postings/113130