[Job Vacancy] Doctoral scholarship holder in the field of Interpreting Studies
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow’s world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Department of Applied Linguistics/Translators and Interpreters in the Faculty of Arts is looking for a full-time doctoral scholarship holder in the field of Interpreting Studies for one year.
- You will work actively on the one-year research project “Multimodal input & cognition: An experimental study into the effect of written text in Simultaneous Interpreting” (“Multimodale input & cognitie: Een experimentele studie naar het effect van tekst bij het simultaantolken”) under the supervision of prof. dr. Isabelle Robert and dr. Esther de Boe. Abstract: https://www.uantwerpen.be/en/staff/isabelle-robert/research/
- You will carry out a limited number of teaching and research support tasks for the Department of Applied Linguistics/Translators and Interpreters
- Implementation of the project as described in the project proposal
- Publication of at least one scientific paper related to the research results
- Production of a project proposal as “aspirant FWO” (PhD fellowship) based on the current project (for details see: https://www.fwo.be/en/fellowships-funding/phd-fellowships/phd-fellowship-fundamental-research/)
- Participation to the production of a follow-up project (“DOCPRO3”, internal BOF-financed) which, in case of approval, offers the possibility of continuing the research by means of a PhD scholarship (i.e., 3 additional years of scholarship). Please note: A “DOCPRO3” will only be granted if the application for a scholarship has not been selected by the FWO, but has obtained excellent results (rank as “reserve”)
- Assistance to the supervisors with regard to research-related activities (preparation and proofreading of papers, lay-out work)
- Contribute to the editing of LANS (https://lans-tts.uantwerpen.be/index.php/LANS-TTS) as an editorial assistant (lay-out and checking of APA style)
- Participate in services to TricS research group and the Department (e.g., minutes, surveillance of exams etc.)
- You hold a Master degree in Interpreting or you will have obtained it by the time you start work, with one of the following languages: English as L1 or L2, French as L1 or L2, Dutch as L1 or L2. You may also hold another Master’s degree that contains a strong link with interpreting studies.
- You can demonstrate excellent study results.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- You have a great interest in research
- Experience with research (and methodologies) in interpreting is recommended
- Experience with experimental research and statistical analysis (e.g. in the context of your master’s thesis, publications, etc.) is recommended
- Knowledge of Excel and SPSS is recommended
- Some experience with simultaneous interpreting (with text) is an added value
What we offer
- We offer a doctoral scholarship for a period of one year. Following a positive selection at FWO/DOCPRO3, the scholarship can be renewed once for another three-year period.
- A ready-to-go project proposal: You can start immediately with preparing the data collection since the objectives, methodologies and planning have already been worked out.
- The planned start date is 1 November 2022 or before if possible.
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for Contract Research Staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- You will receive ecocheques, Internet-connectivity allowance and a bicycle allowance or a full reimbursement of public transport costs for commuting.
- You will do most of your work at City Campus (“Stadscampus”) in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy by sending an e-mail with your motivation letter and cv before August 30th, 2022 to Isabelle Robert (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Esther de Boe (email@example.com).
- The advisors will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Isabelle Robert firstname.lastname@example.org) or Esther de Boe (email@example.com).
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.