[Job Vacancy] Faculty Position (Open Rank) in Translation Studies
Faculty Position (Open Rank) in Translation Studies is effective from August 15, 2022 or January 5, 2023
KIMEP University College of Humanities and Education invites applications for one faculty position in Translation Studies. The position are a twelve-month (including vacation period) full-time academic appointment to begin on 15 August 2022 with possibility of extension. Responsibilities include teaching, research, scholarly activities, advising, and service. The new faculty will assist in the undergraduate and graduate programs offered by the department, particularly in our BA in Translation Studies.
We seek talented instructors and innovative scholars who are actively engaged in research and who can teach the following courses: Introduction to Translation, Introduction to Interpreting, Technology for Translation, Commercial Translation, Legal Translation, Simultaneous Interpreting, Consequent Interpreting, Professional Internship, Academic Writing, and other courses.
Expertise is desired in the following areas:
- Translation Studies (at assistant/associate professor level);
Applicants for professorial positions should have:
- A doctorate degree in a relevant field from an internationally-recognized, accredited university;
- Ideally at least 3-5 years of teaching experience in reputable universities;
- Prior research publications or clear evidence of research potential;
- Experience with translation technology;
- Experience with remote or online course design and teaching;
- Industry experience would also be viewed favorably.
Applicants for senior lecturer positions should have:
- A master’s degree in a relevant field from an internationally-recognized, accredited university;
- Ideally at least 2 years of teaching experience in reputable universities;
- Experience with remote or online course design and teaching.
Preferred but not required qualifications:
- Proficiency in Korean, Chinese or German (additional foreign languages for BA students in Translation Studies);
- Proficiency in Russian and/or Kazakh;
- Familiarity with CIS countries or similar international experience is welcome.
ABD’s will be considered who meet the position qualifications and include in their application materials a letter from the dissertation chair confirming defense date prior to the position’s start date.
KIMEP University is the leading American-style, internationally-accredited, English-speaking academic institution in the Commonwealth of Independent States. It provides a world-class academic experience and a unique international environment to all its students and faculty members. KIMEP University was established in 1992 and has built a very strong regional reputation as a leading provider of higher education. All graduate and undergraduate programs are accredited by at least one recognized international accreditation agency. Academic programs are regularly rated in the top rank of provision by national bodies.
The city of Almaty is situated at the base of the majestic Tien Shan Mountains in Southeast Kazakhstan. About 2 million people live in or near Almaty because it is the financial, cultural, summer and winter sports and cosmopolitan capital of Kazakhstan. Kazakhstan is located in the heart of Eurasia with important commercial inroads bridging Asia and Europe. Boasting the Silk Road of the 21st century, Kazakhstan offers unique positions in oil and gas, economic development, and trade. With a transitioning economy that has witnessed four-fold growth over the past decade, Kazakhstan’s dynamically changing economic, social, educational and cultural environment provides incredible opportunities for significant and original research.
Rank and salary are competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications. Compensation after tax compares favorably with net salaries in western countries.
Limited on campus housing is available to rent, or alternatively, help is available in finding off campus housing. In addition to salary, a benefit package includes basic healthcare insurance, reduced tuition rates for KIMEP courses, and subsidy for relocation allowance. New faculty members are provided with a reduced teaching schedule during the first semester. Summer paid teaching is typically available.
The salary will be subject to deduction of taxes (10% Personal Income tax in general) as required by the Law of Kazakhstan.
Please submit the following documents to KIMEP University HR portal. Please click Apply to access.
- Filled and submitted application form
- Cover letter that indicates the position applied, how you meet the minimum and preferred qualifications, course(s) you can teach, and salary expectations in KZT gross.
- Shortlisted candidates are required to submit 2 referees’ names/contact details and if you have the recommendation letters.
- The teaching evaluation forms for last 2 semesters.
Address any questions to: email@example.com
Closing dates for submission of applications:
- August 20, 2022 (for starting date January 2023). These applications would be considered/interviewed first until October 20, 2023 by the Selection Committee members. Applications received before August 20, 2022 are guaranteed full consideration.
- November 1, 2022 (for starting date August 2023). These applications would be considered/interviewed first until October 20, 2023 by the Selection Committee members. Applications received before November 1 are guaranteed full consideration.
Personal data provided by applicants will be kept confidential and used for recruitment purposes only.
Only shortlisted candidates will be informed and invited for interviews by the CHE Search Committee.