[Job Vacancy] Tenured Senior Academic Staff, Translation studies French-Dutch
Department: Department of Translators and Interpreters
Let’s shape the future – University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow’s world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Department of Applied Linguistics / Translation and Interpreting in the Faculty of Arts has the following full-time vacancy: tenured senior academic staff in the field of translation studies French-Dutch
You will contribute to the University of Antwerp’s three core tasks: education (40%), research (40%) and services (20%). Your role also includes organisational and managerial aspects.
- Your teaching role will evolve along with the study programmes. You will provide high-quality education in the field of translation studies and translation from French into Dutch.
- The courses you will teach include:
- French: Translation into Dutch 1 (BA2, 1112FLWTTA, 3 credits)
- French: Translation into Dutch 2 (BA3, 1113FLWTTA, 3 credits)
- French: Specialised Translation into Dutch: Technical Translation (MAV, 2063FLWVER, 3 credits)
- French: Specialised Translation into Dutch: Literary Translation (MAV, 2064FLWVER, 3 credits)
- Translation and Interpreting Studies (partim Translation Studies, BA2, 1141FLWTTA, 3 credits)
- You co-teach French: Language Proficiency 1 (partim written proficiency, BA1, 1012FLWTTA, 6 credits)
- You co-teach Research skills (BA2, 1142FLWTTA, 6 credits)
- You will play a role in developing activating, student-centred and competence-driven programme components and study programmes.
- You will supervise students and their Bachelor and Master dissertations.
- You will expand high-quality scientific research in the research area of (literary) translation studies and in the French language group.
- You will initiate new lines of research and coordinate the progress of scientific research projects. You will also participate in ongoing research programmes of the Translation, interpreting and intercultural Studies (TricS) research group.
- You will acquire and manage national and international research funding.
- You will publish in international journals and specialist literature.
- You will develop an international scientific network.
- You will supervise PhD students and postdoctoral researchers.
- You will play a role in the provision of both academic services and service to society, within the institution and externally.
Organisation and leadership
- You will accept coordinating responsibilities in the areas of education, research and/or service provision and you will contribute to policy.
- Your leadership style will be motivating and coaching. You will be attentive to your employees’ growth and development processes.
- You hold a PhD in the field of translation studies, literature, linguistics and literature or similar, with a clear translation studies component and French and Dutch as your subject languages.
- You can demonstrate several years of postdoctoral experience (or equivalent).
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies. You have established an excellent research portfolio.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision. You are motivated to develop your teaching skills further through the professionalisation opportunities available.
- You are a native speaker of Dutch or equivalent (CEFR level C2) and have excellent command of this language, both orally and in writing.
- You have excellent (near native) command of French (CEFR level C1+).
- You demonstrate leadership potential and organisational skills.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- Proven experience in applying for and obtaining research funds is considered an asset.
- Proven experience in teaching French-Dutch translation subjects at an academic level is considered an asset.
- An international network in the field of translation studies is considered an asset.
What we offer
- We offer a full-time appointment as a member of the Senior Academic Staff (Dutch: Zelfstandig Academisch Personeel, ZAP). The level of your appointment (assistant professor, associate professor, professor or full professor) is determined on the basis of your professional experience and academic qualifications. Junior ZAP members are usually offered temporary appointment as a tenure track assistant professor for five years, which is then followed by permanent appointment as an associate professor. Appointment as an associate professor or higher leads to permanent appointment (tenure) after a maximum of three years. A favourable performance appraisal is always required for permanent appointment.
- Your gross monthly salary is calculated according to the pay scales for Senior Academic Staff.
- You will receive ecocheques, internet-connectivity allowance and a bicycle allowance or a full reimbursement of public transport costs for commuting.
- The planned start date is 15 September 2022.
- You will do most of your work at City campus in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here and discover all the other benefits.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including March 28, 2022 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on ‘apply’, complete the online application form and don’t forget to include the following documents: (1) your motivation letter, (2) the completed job application appendix for ZAP, (3) your academic CV.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to email@example.com. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact the department chair, prof. Kris Peeters (firstname.lastname@example.org).