[Job Vacancy] PROFESSOR POSITION – TRANSLATION STUDIES, OR INTERCULTURAL COMMUNICATION OR CULTURAL STUDIES
We invite applications for a Professor in the field of Translation Studies, or Intercultural Communication, or Cultural Studies or a related field. The candidate will work closely with other programs in the college, in particular the PhD Program in Humanities and Social Sciences, and with national, regional and international partners and stakeholders.
The candidate will be expected to teach graduate courses at MA level, apply an innovative range of methodologies for teaching and assessment and contribute to curriculum development in their area(s) of specialty. The candidate will supervise MA and Ph.D. students and will be committed to research-based teaching and learning and the integration of professional practices into classroom activities, encouraging students to develop their analytical skills to analyze and reflect on one of the fields stated above with a specific focus on new research and professional trends in these areas. The candidate is expected to maintain an active research agenda and participate in departmental and college-wide initiatives.
The successful candidate will be a dynamic, experienced, and internationally recognized scholar with an innovative research agenda, as demonstrated through an internationally recognized strong record of peer-reviewed publications and funding/grant acquisitions.
HBKU and CHSS offer great opportunities for professional enrichment and personal fulfillment with ample research opportunities. The College is a young and fast growing part of HBKU and is well-positioned to continue its ambitious growth trajectory.
Research is enhanced within HBKU by a highly collaborative environment both within CHSS, as well as with national research institutes (QBRI, QCRI), Aspetar/Aspire Zone, partner universities within Qatar Foundation (Weill Cornell Medicine – Qatar, Carnegie Mellon University in Qatar), and Sidra Medical Center.
Required Qualifications & Skills
- Ph.D. or terminal degree from an accredited university as required for teaching in certain fields.
- Minimum 10 -12 years of experience in research, higher education, or closely related areas in the industry (additional experience may be required to show equivalency) with evidence of increasing professional maturity and productivity.
- Evidence of proficiency in teaching, student supervision, and curriculum and program development.
- Research and scholarly achievements judged competent and adequate for the rank of ‘professor’ in comparison with peers active in the same field at a major research university.
- Significant national, regional and international reputation in scholarly endeavors (funded research grants, publications, IP/patents, etc.) in comparison with peers active in the same field at a major research university.
- Ability to work with and lead diverse groups, cultures and communities.
- Evidence of significant national, regional, and international networks and collaborations in both teaching and research activities.
- Arabic proficiency is an advantage
How to Apply
Please submit your completed application (CV, cover letter and the names of three references with their full contact information) via the following link: Click here to apply
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. The first review stage of applications will start in October 2021.
HBKU offers an attractive compensation package that includes a tax-free salary and additional benefits such as an education allowance, furnished accommodation, annual paid leave, air tickets and medical insurance.
Hamad Bin Khalifa University, as an equal opportunity educator and employer, is committed to maintaining culturally and academically diverse staff of the highest caliber.