[Job Vacancy] AFFILIATE INSTRUCTOR – FREELANCE POSITION
Hamad Bin Khalifa University (HBKU), a member of Qatar Foundation for Education, Science, and Community Development (QF), was founded in 2010 to continue fulfilling QF’s vision of unlocking human potential. HBKU is an emerging research University that acts as a catalyst for transformative change in Qatar and the region while having global impact.
The College of Humanities and Social Sciences (CHSS) at HBKU aims to deliver innovative programs that meet educational needs in the fields of humanities and social sciences in Qatar and the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region.
HBKU and CHSS offer great opportunities for professional enrichment and personal fulfillment, with ample research opportunities. The College is a young and fast-growing part of HBKU and is well-positioned to continue its ambitious growth trajectory.
Research is enhanced within HBKU by a highly collaborative environment both within CHSS, as well as with national research institutes (QBRI, QCRI), Aspetar/Aspire Zone, partner universities within Qatar Foundation (Weill Cornell Medicine – Qatar, Carnegie Mellon University in Qatar), and Sidra Medical Center.
We invite applications for an ‘Affiliate Instructor’ position in the field of sensory, cultural and linguistic accessibility. The candidate will work closely with different programs in the college, and with national, regional and international partners and stakeholders. English and Arabic proficiency is required.
The candidate will be expected to do the following tasks in addition to any administrative responsibilities added by the Directors or the Dean:
- Effective provision of teaching on courses assigned by the Head of Department.
- Preparation of syllabus, course materials, and development of the online teaching portal for the courses assigned.
- Quality and timely grading of student work, provision of student feedback, and maintenance of student attendance records.
- Serve as an official academic advisor for students in the Department.
- Create a learning environment that encourage student involvement and participation
- Prepare and disseminate students’ course evaluations.
- Maintain office hours and accessibility to students.
- Provide coordination for student internships, and assist in independent study projects with other faculty.
- Participate in student admissions interviews.
- Employ appropriate teaching and learning strategies to communicate subject matter to students.
- Participate in curriculum development and enhancement.
- Proactively engage in identifying references for acquisition by the Library in support of the Department’s degree programs.
- Support the Head of Department in scheduling and in coordinating Department events.
- Participate in student recruitment sessions.
- Participate in faculty meetings and completion of assigned administrative tasks.
- Other reasonable tasks as assigned by supervisor
Required Qualifications & Skills
- Masters’ degree in a relevant disciplinary area. PhD student is preferred.
- 0 to 2 years of relevant experience.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Aptitude for using initiative.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Interpersonal and counseling skills, and the ability to establish strong working relationships with students, faculty, staff and others.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise independent, sound, analytical/diagnostic judgments.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications
How to Apply
Please submit your complete application (CV, cover letter, and contact details of three professional referees) through the following link: Click here to apply
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. The first review stage of applications will start in November 2021.
HBKU offers an attractive compensation package that includes a tax-free salary and additional benefits such as housing and transportation allowances, children educational assistance, annual paid leave and airfares, medical insurance etc.
We are committed to maintaining culturally and academically diverse staff of the highest caliber.