[CFP] Interpreter and Translator Education in an Ever-Changing World
The 21st ITRI International Conference
January 21-22, 2022 (online)
The Interpreting and Translation Research Institute (ITRI) at Hankuk University of Foreign Studies (HUFS) in Korea are pleased to invite you to the 21st ITRI international conference scheduled to be held virtually on January 21-22, 2022. The theme of the conference is “Interpreter and Translator Education in an Ever-Changing World.”
In recent years, the field of translation and interpretation (T&I) has witnessed tremendous changes on the back of greater international mobility, the increase of migration, the use of ICT technologies, and changing business models in different markets. Scholars have discussed the scope and extent of machine translation programs and their impact on the profession. Furthermore, the COVID-19 pandemic and global travel restrictions have resulted in an increasing number of international events and conferences being held virtually or in a hybrid format, which require a different set of skills for interpreters. All these factors have significant implications for interpretation and translation pedagogy. Many T&I training institutions were forced to teach future translators and interpreters in a remote manner.
Research on T&I education has evolved greatly as a diverse range of T&I curricular and pedagogical approaches have been proposed. Yet, the recent changes in the industry, which have been accelerated by the COVID-19 pandemic, merit deeper reflection and prompt us to raise questions about effective interpreter and translator education in an ever-changing context. ITRI invites you to contribute to this reflective process, with the aim of better identifying the impacts of paradigm shifts and technology development on T&I pedagogy and proposing new pedagogical approaches that reflect new roles and identities of interpreters and translators.
Under the theme of “the Interpreter and Translator Education in an Ever-Changing World,” subjects for papers may include but not limited to:
– Interpreter and translator identities and T&I education
– Expanded scope of interpreting and interpreter training
– Machine translation and translator training
– Use of technologies in interpretation and translation education
– New and innovative pedagogical approaches for T&I education
– T&I education and ethics.
Submitting a proposal
– Individual proposals should be minimum 300 words.
– You may submit your proposals in English or Korean.
– All proposals should be accompanied by short bios (ca 100 words) of the presenters.
– Please send all proposals via email to email@example.com
– December 1, 2021: Submission of proposals
– December 19, 2021: Acceptance of proposals
– January 13, 2022: Submission of papers (Microsoft Word or PowerPoint slides)
To ensure smooth preparations for the conference, you are kindly asked to adhere to the above deadlines. For any inquiries, please email ITRI at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to register as a participant
– Conference registration is free.
– The online conference link will be posted on the ITRI homepage a week prior to the event : http://itri.hufs.ac.kr
Interpreting and Translation Research Institute (ITRI)
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies (HUFS)
Seoul, Republic of Korea