[Job Vacancy] Assistant Professor Translation Studies (1.0 FTE)
- HOURS PER WEEK: 38 to 40
- FACULTY: Faculty of Humanities
- DEPARTMENT: Departement Talen, Literatuur en Communicatie
- APPLICATION DEADLINE:
The Department of Languages, Literature and Communication at Utrecht University invites applications for a full-time appointment for the duration of two years at the rank of Assistant Professor in Translation Studies. The position starts January 1, 2022 (or as soon as possible thereafter), and will be in the Translation Studies group (situated within the section English Language and Culture). Your appointment will be at the rank of Assistant Professor (‘universitair docent’ or UD), with a teaching/research time ratio of 70:30.
The Assistant Professor Translation Studies will teach courses on the theory and practice of translation at Master’s level in the two Master’s programmes within Translation Studies: the Master’s of Professional Translation and the Master’s of Literary Translation. They may also potentially contribute to teaching translation courses in Bachelor’s programmes, and/or other courses (beyond translation), relevant to their particular expertise. They will supervise Bachelor’s and Master’s theses on translation-related topics. The Assistant Professor will be affiliated with either the Utrecht Institute of Linguistics (UiL-OTS) or the Institute for Cultural Inquiry (ICON), depending on their research profile. We are seeking candidates with demonstrated excellence in teaching across a broad range of areas of Translation Studies, both theoretical and practical, and who are willing and able to contribute to the continued development and quality assurance of our Master’s programmes in response to the rapidly changing translation industry, across domains, both literary and otherwise.
No particular field of specialisation is prescribed; however, our preference is for a candidate with a focus on translation as a literary, cultural or sociological phenomenon, and knowledge of the Dutch translation field. First-language proficiency in Dutch is a strong recommendation; in addition, a specialisation in one or more of the languages offered in our programmes (English, French, German, Italian, and Spanish) is required.
The candidate will be expected to make a substantial contribution to research in Translation Studies, within the interdisciplinary Translation Studies research group, which is affiliated with both UiL-OTS and ICON. A demonstrated track record of a developing independent research focus, a commitment to building the profile of Translation Studies research both in the Netherlands and internationally, and a willingness to pursue external funding opportunities, either independently or collaboratively, are required which is affiliated with both UiL-OTS and ICON.
- a PhD in Translation Studies;
- a broad background in Translation Studies as a discipline, enabling you to contribute meaningfully across the Master’s programmes in translation;
- a specialisation in one or more of the languages offered in the department’s translation programmes (English, French, German, Italian, and Spanish);
- experience in teaching a broad range of courses in areas of Translation Studies, at Master’s and Bachelor’s level; a focus on translation as a literary, cultural or sociological phenomenon is preferred, and knowledge of the Dutch translation field is a recommendation;
- demonstrable experience in contributing to the continued development and quality assurance of courses in Translation Studies;
- evidence of excellent research skills;
- ability and willingness to pursue external funding opportunities;
- good communication skills;
- a willingness to work collaboratively with colleagues both in the Translation Studies group, and in other sections of the department;
- a University Teaching Qualification (Dutch ‘Basiskwalificatie Universitair Onderwijs’, BKO). Candidates lacking this qualification should be prepared to follow the BKO programme available at the faculty;
- first-language proficiency in Dutch is strongly preferred. Non-native candidates in Dutch should be prepared to meet to-be-agreed-upon expectations for acquiring a proficiency level within a reasonable timeframe.
We offer a temporary position (1.0 FTE) for a period of two years. In case of a good performance, an indefinite employment is one of the possibilities. The gross salary – depending on previous qualifications and experience – ranges between €3,746 and €5,127 (scale 11 according to the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities) per month for a full-time employment. Salaries are supplemented with a holiday bonus of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.3% per year. In addition, Utrecht University offers excellent secondary conditions, including an attractive retirement scheme, (partly paid) parental leave and (multiple choice model). More information can be found here.
The has around 6,000 students and 900 staff members. It comprises four knowledge domains: Philosophy and Religious Studies, History and Art History, Media and Culture Studies, and Languages, Literature and Communication. With its research and education in these fields, the faculty aims to contribute to a better understanding of the Netherlands and Europe in a rapidly changing social and cultural context. The enthusiastic and committed colleagues and the excellent amenities in the historical city center of Utrecht, where the faculty is housed, contribute to an inspiring working environment. The offers Bachelor’s and Master’s programmes in Literary studies, Linguistics, Communication studies, Translation, as well as Dutch, English, German, French, Italian, Spanish and (uniquely in the Netherlands) Celtic languages.
Everyone deserves to feel at home at our university. We welcome employees with a wide variety of backgrounds and perspectives. To apply, please send your curriculum vitae, including a letter of motivation via the ‘apply’ button below.
Please note: Due to the current situation regarding the Coronavirus (COVID-19) the process of selection and interviews is subject to change.
Acquisition in response to this vacancy is not appreciated.
The application deadline is 12 September 2021.