[Job Vacancy] DIRECTOR OF TRANSLATION AND INTERPRETING STUDIES DEPARTMENT – Hamad Bin Khalifa University
The College of Humanities and Social Sciences (CHSS) at Hamad Bin Khalifa University (HBKU) aims to deliver innovative programs that meet educational needs in the fields of humanities and social sciences in Qatar and the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region.
CHSS invites applications for a Director of Translation and Interpreting Studies Department (TISD) with a specialization in Translation Studies.
The candidate is expected to be a senior academic with relevant management and leadership experience. The candidate will set the overall strategy and direction of the department, play a main role in student recruitment and outreach activities, prepare business plans and the annual budget, and oversee the master programs’ curricula. The candidate will engage in research, supervise MA and PhD students, develop and create faculty and students’ research agenda and perform other job-specific responsibilities.
The successful candidate will be a dynamic, experienced, and internationally recognized academic with a strong record of research and publications and funding/grant acquisition. He/she is expected to contribute to a wide range of leadership tasks at a strategic level. The candidate must be fluent in English, and preferably proficient in Arabic (or another language of the region).
HBKU and CHSS offer great opportunities for professional enrichment and personal fulfillment, with ample research opportunities. The college is a young and fast-growing part of HBKU and is well-positioned to continue its ambitious growth trajectory.
Research within CHSS is enhanced by a highly-collaborative environment both within HBKU, as well as with national research institutes such as the Qatar Biomedical Research Institute (QBRI), Qatar Computing Research Institute (QCRI), Aspetar/Aspire Zone, partner universities within Qatar Foundation (Weill Cornell, Qatar, Carnegie Mellon, Qatar) and Sidra Medical Center, to name but a few.
Qualifications and Responsibilities
- PhD in Translation Studies or related fields.
- Academic rank of Professor or Associate Professor (normally) earned at an internationally recognized top-tier university.
- 8 years of relevant full-time work experience in the education sector; experience as Program Director or Head strongly preferred.
- Experience in designing courses at graduate level.
- Exemplary teaching skills.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills.
- Exceptional organizational and planning skills.
- Fluency in English and at least one other language offered by the Institute; Arabic proficiency is an advantage
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to draft and edit a variety of written reports and communications and to articulate ideas clearly and concisely
- International experience and qualifications
- Experience as Program Director or Head of Department
- Experience with obtaining grants or research income
- Experience with accreditation
How to Apply
Candidates should submit their complete application (CV, cover letter, research statement, teaching statement, and names and full contact information of three referees) on the following link: Click here to apply
The position is required for August 2021. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. The first review stage of applications will start in March 2021.
HBKU offers an attractive compensation package that includes a tax-free salary and additional benefits such as Housing & Transportation Allowances, Children Educational Assistance, annual paid leave and airfares, medical insurance etc.
HBKU, as an equal opportunity educator and employer, is committed to maintaining culturally and academically diverse staff of the highest caliber.