[Job Vacancy] Senior academic staff Translation Studies
Vacancies for academic staff
For a complete list of all the vacancies currently open at the university, please consult the vacancy pages in Dutch.
Department: Department of Translators and Interpreters
The Department of Applied Linguistics / Translation and Interpreting in the Faculty of Arts has the following part-time (80%) vacancy:
Senior academic staff in the field of Translation Studies
You will contribute to the University of Antwerp’s three core tasks: education (40%), research (40%) and services (20%). Your role will also include organisational and managerial aspects.
- You will provide high-quality education in the field of communication and translation studies and audiovisual translation.
- Your teaching role will evolve along with the study programmes. Initially, the courses you will teach include :
- Audiovisual communication (3BA, 3 credits)
- Translation technology (1055FLWTTA, 3BA, 3 credits)
- Skills Lab (1180FLWTTA, 3BA, 3 credits)
- Translator’s Toolbox (2051FLWVER, MA, 6 credits, partim)
- Video Game Localisation (2079FLWVER, MA, 6 credits, partim)
- You will play a role in developing activating, student-centred and competence-driven programme components and study programmes.
- You will supervise students and their Bachelor and Master dissertations.
- You will advance high-quality scientific research in the domain of language and translation technology, with a focus on audiovisual communication and translation.
- You will initiate new lines of research and coordinate the progress of scientific research projects. You will also participate in ongoing research programmes.
- Your research fits the profile and vision of the TricS research group; the valorisation of your research is connected with the Expertisecentrum Toegankelijke Media en Cultuur OPEN.
- You will acquire and manage national and international research funding.
- You will publish in international journals and specialist literature.
- You will develop an international scientific network.
- You will supervise PhD students and postdoctoral researchers.
- You will play a role in the provision of both academic services and service to society, within the institution and externally. You will participate in student recruitment, boards and committees, popular science communication, and so on.
Organisation and leadership
- You will accept coordinating responsibilities in the areas of education, research and/or services and you will contribute to policy.
- Your leadership style will be motivating and coaching. You will be attentive to your employees’ growth and development processes.
- You hold a PhD in Translation Studies, (Applied) Linguistics, Languages and Literatures (or equivalent).
- You can demonstrate several years of postdoctoral experience (or equivalent).
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies. Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision. You are motivated to develop your teaching skills further through the professionalisation opportunities available.
- If you are not a native speaker of Dutch, you are able to demonstrate a CEFR C2 level of proficiency in Dutch before you take on teaching duties.
- As soon as you take on teaching duties as a programme component coordinator in another language, you are able to demonstrate a CEFR C1 level of proficiency in the language of instruction. The University of Antwerp supports international staff members through an integration trajectory and offers tailor-made language coaching in compliance with Flanders’ statutory language regulations.
- You demonstrate leadership potential and organisational skills.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- You have experience in research and academic teaching in the field of audiovisual translation and language and translation technology.
- Experience with experimental research would be an asset.
- Experience with or an interest in valorisation would be an asset.
- A network of professional partners in public and private sectors would be an asset.
What we offer
- We offer a part-time (80%), structural appointment as a member of the senior academic staff (Dutch: zelfstandig academisch personeel, ZAP). The level of your appointment (lecturer, senior lecturer, professor or full professor) is determined on the basis of your professional experience and academic qualifications. Junior ZAP members are usually offered temporary appointment as a tenure track lecturer for five years, which is then followed by permanent appointment (tenure) as a senior lecturer. Appointment as a senior lecturer or higher leads to permanent appointment (tenure) after a maximum of three years. A favourable performance appraisal is always required for permanent appointment.
- Your gross monthly salary is calculated according to the pay scales for senior academic staff (ZAP) and calculated proportionally on the basis of your employment percentage.
- The planned start date is 15 September 2021.
- You will do most of your work at City Campus in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here and discover all the other benefits.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including March 29, 2021 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on ‘apply’, complete the online application form and don’t forget to include the following document(s): (1) your motivation letter, (2) the completed job application appendix for ZAP, (3) your academic CV.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure. Please make a note of the following date: May 10, 2021.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to email@example.com. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact prof. Kris Peeters, department chair (firstname.lastname@example.org).