[Scholarship] Doctoral scholarship holder Translation Studies – University of Antwerp
Department: Department of Translators and Interpreters
The Department of Applied Linguistics, Translators and Interpreters in the Faculty of Arts is looking for a full-time (100%)
Doctoral scholarship holder in the field of Translation Studies
- You will work actively on the preparation and defence of a PhD thesis in Translation Studies, in particular for the following project: “When accessibility meets multimedia learning: Effect of intralingual live subtitling on perception, performance and cognitive load in an EMI university lecture », under the supervision of prof. Dr Isabelle Robert and prof. Dr Iris Schrijver (Junior research project funded by the Research Foundation – Flanders, FWO) Abstract: One of the main challenges in higher education in the 21st century is providing educational access to an increasingly multilingual and multicultural student population. Many universities are considering using English as language of instruction (EMI), but students’ limited proficiency in English can be a drawback. Live subtitling might help to overcome this language barrier, by removing physical (auditory) and linguistic barriers at the same time. The aim of this research project is therefore to investigate (1) how university students in Flanders perceive EMI lectures with intralingual live subtitles, (2) whether these subtitles influence their performance, and (3) what impact these subtitles have on their cognitive load (via eye tracking).
- You will publish scientific articles related to the research project.
- You will carry out a limited number of teaching and research support tasks for the Department of Applied Linguistics, Translators and Interpreters and their Research group TricS (https://www.uantwerpen.be/en/research-groups/translation-interpreting/).
- You hold a master degree in interpreting / translation / linguistics and/or literature / applied linguistics / with English as L1 or L2
- You can demonstrate excellent study results.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- You have excellent English communication skills (C2). Knowledge of Dutch will be taken favourably into account.
- You have previous experience in experimental research-like activities and statistical analysis (e.g. demonstrated in the form of master thesis work, published research articles, previous documented work experience).
- Previous experience with (live) subtitling, respeaking and/or interpreting research and methodologies such as eye tracking will be highly valued.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
What we offer
- We offer a doctoral scholarship for a period of two years. Following a positive evaluation, the scholarship can be renewed for another two years.
- The planned start date is 1st April 2021 or as soon as possible after that date.
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for contract research staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- You will do most of your work at the City campus in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 15th February 2021 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on the ‘Apply’ button, complete the online application form and be sure to include the following attachments: a motivation letter and your CV.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Prof. Dr Isabelle Robert, email@example.com.
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.