[Job Vacancy] Doctoral student, Translation Studies
Department: Department of Linguistics
The Faculty of Arts is seeking to fill a full-time (100%) vacancy in the Department of Translators and Interpreters for a doctoral student in the area of Translation Studies
- You prepare a doctoral thesis in the field of Translation Studies.
- The main objective of the project is to venture into process research – an underresearched research avenue in audiovisual translation (AVT) in general and in audio description (AD) in particular.
- The overreaching aim of the project is to create clear evaluation procedures of AD, based on first extensive and long-term analysis of AD quality. To do that we will attempt to define AD quality and map the relationship between AD scripting process and AD quality.
- The project will employ research methodology that so far has been rarely used in AD research (keystroke logging, heart rate recording, presence questionnaires, interview, focus group, think aloud protocols, screen and face recording).
- You contribute to teaching and research in < Department of Translators and Interpreters and the research group TricS.
Profile and requirements
- You hold a master degree in linguistics/ applied linguistics/ translation studies/social sciences/ psychology /communication.
- You can submit outstanding academic results.
- Also students in the final year of their degree can apply.
- The focus in your teaching corresponds to the educational vision of the university.
- Your academic qualities comply with the requirements stipulated in the university’s policy.
- You have excellent English communication skills. Knowledge of Dutch will be taken favourably into account.
- You have previous experience in experimental research-like activities and statistical analysis (e.g. demonstrated in the form of master thesis work, published research articles, previous documented work experience).
- Previous experience with writing or translation process research or user experience research and methodologies such as keystroke logging, think aloud protocols, heart rate recording will be highly valued.
What we offer
- We offer a doctoral scholarship for a period of two years. Following a positive evaluation, the scholarship can be renewed once for another two-year period.
- The planned start date is April 1, 2021 or as soon as possible after that date.
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for contract research staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- You will do most of your work at Campus Stad in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including December 17, 2020 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on the ‘Apply’ button, complete the online application form and be sure to include the following attachments: a motivation letter and your CV
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure. Please make a note of the following dates: January 25, 2021 (interview).
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to email@example.com. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Prof. Anna Jankowska (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.