[Job Vacancy] ASSISTANT PROFESSOR/ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR IN TRANSLATION AND INTERPRETING
Xi’an Jiaotong – Liverpool University – Department of Translation and Interpreting
School: School of Humanities and Social Sciences
Department: Department of Translation and Interpreting
Academic Discipline: Translation and Interpreting
Vacant Number: 2
Location: Suzhou Campus
Salary: Assistant Professor: 27,929 – 30,279RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 34,219RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in post).
Associate Professor：34,738 – 37,469 RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 41,063 RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in post)
Advertisement Closing Date: 10th December, 2020.
Expected start Date: July 2021 or shortly after
|Location:||Suzhou – China|
|Salary:||¥27,929 to ¥37,469
£3,188.10 to £4,277.09 converted salary*
|Placed On:||11th November 2020|
|Closes:||10th December 2020|
University and Department Description:
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a unique collaborative institution and the first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for all programmes. Formed in 2006, the first cohort of its students graduated in August 2010. The University now has almost 15,000 students studying on campus. The language of instruction is English. XJTLU aims to become truly research-led, and has recently committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of PhD student numbers on campus.
XJTLU is located in the Higher Education Town of Suzhou Industrial Park (SIP). Suzhou has been ranked the 74th most liveable city in the 2018 Global Livability Index. Additionally, it is well-connected via nearby airports to cities such as Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo, and Taipei, and via high-speed rail to other major cities in China. SIP is a major growth zone, including operations run by nearly one-fifth of the Fortune 500 top global companies. Greater Suzhou is now the fourth largest concentration of economic activity in China in terms of GDP, and the SIP has a higher GDP per capita than the UK. The broader Suzhou area encompasses the spirit of both old and new in China, with the historic old town’s canals, UNESCO World Heritage Site gardens, and the I.M. Pei-designed Suzhou Museum attracting millions of tourists annually. SIP offers an excellent quality of life with high environmental standards. The nearby Jinji Lake provides attractive views, by day and by night, and there is a variety of shopping facilities, international and local restaurants, entertainment hubs and nightlife. Suzhou is also home to four international schools.
The Department of Translation and Interpreting was founded in Sept. 2020 and sits within the newly established School of Humanities and Social Sciences. We are now developing BA and MA programmes and seek to appoint Assistant Professor/Associate Professor with a specialism in Translation Technology / Media Translation / Cultural Translation. We invite strong applicants who are able to join the department in July 2021 or shortly after.
Further information on the School, University, and Suzhou may be found at the university website: http://www.xjtlu.edu.cn
Roles & Responsibilities:
The post is offered at one of two levels – Assistant Professor or Associate Professor. The level of appointment will be determined by your ability to meet the requirements of the person specification and job description. Candidates for appointment at Associate Professor level should demonstrate significant achievement in research/funding, teaching, and leadership in an HE environment. The position is offered on a Teaching and Research (T&R) career pathway and has 40% research, 40% teaching and 20% service. Initial appointment is on a 3-year contract, and the contract is renewable subject to mutual agreement. Specific requirements for candidates are indicated below.
- PhD in a relevant subject area at or near completion.
- Fluent proficiency in English
- Fluent proficiency in Chinese
Skills (professional, technical, managerial, practical):
- Ability to design and deliver practical and professionally relevant modules training translators to professional level in Media Translation, Cultural Translation, CAT tools and other applications of translation technology (e.g. AV translation, machine translation, localisation, games translation)
- Capacity to develop innovative approaches to the curriculum and to teaching delivery, and to engage the interest and enthusiasm of students
- Ability both to work independently and effectively in a team
- Ability to communicate complex information clearly and efficiently
- Ability to take on administrative and pastoral roles within the Department of Translation and Interpreting, the school of Human & Social Science, and the University
- The capacity to establish and develop relationships beyond the Department
- Ability to support the teaching and assessment of interpreting
Experience and Achievements:
- A publication record at international levels of excellence.
- Clearly defined research plans leading to internationally excellent publications that will contribute to the Department’s Development Plan.
- Realistic and achievable plans for applications for research funding.
- Ability to use CAT tools in translation practice and translation training.
- Professional translating and/or interpreting experience.
- Research plans that will have impact as defined for purposes of the Department Development Plan.
- Experience of postgraduate supervision at MA and/or PhD levels.
- Experience of designing and delivering a practical or research-led module
- Experience of teaching and assessment in the field of Translation technology/Computer-Assisted Translation/Media Translation /Cultural Translation in a Higher Education context; or professional experience of using Translation technology and plans for developing scholarship activity in this field.
Members of Academic Staff receive generous subsidies for accommodation, travel, children’s education, and medical insurance. A relocation allowance is provided. Non-Chinese passport holders may qualify for multi-year income tax “holidays”, depending on nationality and tax residency.
Citizenship and Visa Regulations:
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa in the P.R. China.
Please submit your application through our university website https://career15.sapsf.cn/career?career_company=xjtlu , the Job ID is 1810 or click https://career15.sapsf.cn/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=1810&company=xjtlu directly. Application Resume must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes four parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A 3-4 page discussion addressing selection criteria,
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact details of three referees.
Informal enquiries may be addressed to the HR Recruiting Team at Xinyun.Yang@xjtlu.edu.cn. If you are unable to apply on-line, please contact the Human Resource Office at email@example.com .
Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry.