[Event] Subtitling World Cinema Workshop: Four International Screenings and a Round Table
Led by the School of Advanced Study, University of London, in partnership with the Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) and the British Academy, Being Human is the UK’s only national festival of the humanities. In 2020, the festival theme is ‘New Worlds’. The festival will run 12-22 November. The core festival objectives are:
- to demonstrate the value of humanities research to society in the UK and globally;
- to encourage, support and create opportunities for humanities researchers to engage with non-specialist audiences;
- to embed and join together public engagement activities in the humanities across the higher education (HE) sector;
- to demonstrate the relevance of the humanities to everyday life.
University of Exeter led Events
Events: Subtitling World Cinema Workshop: Four International Screenings and a Round Table
Date: Saturday 21 November 2020
The details are as follows:
- Film 1: Life Goes On (language: Spanish with English subtitles, Fernán Gómez, 1963) – Link to recorded introduction and link to streamable subtitled film to be sent prior to the event.
- Film 2: A Door to the Sky (language: Arabic with English subtitles, Benlyazid, 1985) – Link to recorded introduction and time-limited link to streamable subtitled film to be sent prior to the event.
- Film 3: Shanghai Queer (language: Chinese [Mandarin] with English subtitles, Xiangqi, 2019) – Link to recorded introduction and time-limited link to streamable subtitled film to be sent prior to the event.
- Film 4: Melmaridè (language: Italian with English subtitles; Bozzarelli & Daneluzzo, 2019) – Link to recorded introduction and time-limited link to streamable subtitled film to be sent prior to the event.
- Roundtable discussion: with film-makers, academics, translators, film restorers and MA students who subtitled the films 17:30 – 18:30 GMT/UTC – Link to live on-line Zoom roundtable to be sent prior to the event. Please see full speaker biographies in this document.
Please register to attend any or all of the events using the ‘register’ link on this page.
If you wish to register without using Eventbrite by email please contact the Events Team by emailing email@example.com
Data Protection and Privacy
- To aid organisation of this event, attendee information may be shared with relevant staff in the University e.g. a list of attendees could be provided to the University host, guest speaker.
- We will store your information securely, so that we can communicate to you about the event (e.g. cancellation of event, changes to the itinerary, a satisfaction survey).
- We delete our access to personal information on Eventbrite after 6 months.
- More information on the University’s privacy policies can be found here.
For more details and to register, please visit: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/being-human-festival-2020-subtitling-world-cinema-workshop-tickets-117737801935