Date: 8th – 12th June 2020
Venue: Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
Our intensive 5 day course on sign language interpreting in international conferences and high-level meetings (SLIC) for professionally qualified national sign language interpreters focuses on strengthening International Sign skills, enhancing awareness of relevant European and international institutions, as well as practising translingual interpreting skills, all whilst working between primarily English and International Sign, but also other spoken and signed languages.
The course will be taught by expert staff from the Department of Languages and Intercultural Studies (LINCS), which has been offering courses in Conference Interpreting since 1970, and is one of only four UK university departments that have been granted membership of CIUTI – an international body which brings together universities specialising in translating and interpreter training.
LINCS is also partnered with the Magdeburg University of Applied Sciences in Germany and HUMAK University of Applied Sciences in Finland in the delivery of the European Masters in Sign Language Interpreting.
Thus we draw together our expertise in training both spoken and signed language interpreters to deliver this pioneering course, which is supported through part-funding by the Directorate General for Interpretation (SCIC) at the European Commission, and has been developed in collaboration with a range of deaf and hearing experts and representatives from key stakeholder organisations including the World Federation of the Deaf, World Association of Sign Language Interpreters, European Union of the Deaf, European Forum of Sign Language Interpreters, the National Technical Institute of the Deaf-Rochester Institute of Technology, Overseas Interpreting, the AIIC Sign Language Network and the United Nations in Geneva.
Our state-of-the-art digital interpreting and sign language labs will be available exclusively for use by students on this course, as well as access to bespoke visual software for recording and annotating sign language interpreting work.
The course will be delivered primarily by leading sign language, deaf studies and sign language interpreting researchers, educators and practitioners at Heriot-Watt, including:
- Professor Jemina Napier: Accredited WFD-WASLI International Sign interpreter, AIIC Associate member, Registered Qualified BSL/English interpreter, Accredited Auslan/English interpreter, expertise in research and teaching on sign language interpreting
- Professor Graham H. Turner: Sign language policy and Interpreting Studies academic, co-founder of the EUMASLLI and Heriot-Watt BSL UG programmes, expertise in research and teaching on sign language interpreting and BSL policy
- Dr Annelies Kusters: Deaf Studies academic, expertise in research and teaching on deaf ethnographies, professional mobilities, translanguaging and International Sign
- Dr Robert Adam: Accredited WFD-WASLI International Sign interpreter, Registered Qualified BSL-ISL interpreter, Registered Qualified BSL-English interpreter, expertise in research and teaching on sign language contact and sign language interpreting (joining Heriot-Watt staff in April 2020)
- Dr Stacey Webb: Certified ASL/English interpreter, expertise in teaching sign language interpreting and research on sign language interpreting pedagogy
- Andy Carmichael: Accredited WFD-WASLI International Sign interpreter, AIIC Associate member, Registered Qualified BSL/English interpreter, Accredited Auslan/English interpreter, Chair of the Board of Association of Sign Language Interpreters UK (ASLI UK), in-house interpreter at Heriot-Watt, expertise in training and mentoring sign language interpreters
- Christopher Tester: Accredited WFD-WASLI International Sign interpreter, AIIC full member, Certified ASL/English, PhD student at Heriot-Watt, expertise in training sign language interpreters
In addition, further input will come from LINCS academics who are experts in teaching multilingual, spoken language conference interpreting, and external collaborators with expertise in International Sign and International Sign interpreting.