[Course] Master’s Degree in Legal Translation Institute of Advanced Legal Studies, London, UK
The LLM in Legal Translation is a unique and specialized postgraduate translation programme awarding the prestigious Legum Magister (Master of Laws, or LLM). It combines legal translation theory and practice with training in the law. The course is suitable for practising translators and lawyers wishing to broaden their qualification portfolio. It is equally suitable for those starting out in the profession and wishing ultimately to have their own practice, or to work within a wide range of national and international corporate and public institutions. The LLM will also be of interest for those who would like to join the burgeoning academic discipline of legal translation studies.
The course is based here at the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies in central London. The degree of LLM in Legal Translation is awarded jointly through the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies and the Institute of Modern Languages Research, by the University of London at a ceremony held each year in Senate House. This innovative and interdisciplinary LLM programme builds on the two Institutes’ extensive research expertise in global law and language. Students of the course will be part of the dynamic Legal Translation Hub that brings together practitioners in translation and the law, professional bodies, institutions, governments and corporations. The groundbreaking initiative encompasses international seminars, discussion panels with world experts, and access to multinational research networks.
How will this course benefit me?
The LLM in Legal Translation aims to:
- Develop individual careers through this world-renowned and prestigious legal qualification, thereby advancing practice and the field
- Provide students with the opportunity, building on linguistic knowledge, to obtain a systematic understanding and knowledge of the skills required for the legal translation profession, whether practised in-house or independently
- Facilitate an understanding of the theories, values, principles and rules involved in the discipline of Legal Translation Studies
- Give students critical awareness of issues in translating legal concepts across jurisdictions, in texts from various genres, and for different purposes
- Enable students to complement high-level expertise with evolving technologies, with a discriminating eye for their appropriate use
- Incorporate pre-professionalization by exploring ethics, codes of conduct, business skills, and a wide array of real-world scenarios and contexts
- Enable students to develop an understanding of techniques applicable to research and advanced scholarship and to demonstrate independence and originality in the application of knowledge.
The LLM in Legal Translation is an unparalleled opportunity – both as career development for those that have already worked as translators or lawyers, and for those entering the profession, as a way to acquire benchmark interdisciplinary skills and benefit from the latest groundbreaking research in the field.
Core and elective modules are selected according to students’ backgrounds and aims.
All language combinations are accommodated via our portfolio supervision scheme
which runs alongside the course. The method of assessment is ongoing, through
coursework and a final dissertation the subject of which is chosen by the student.
Students will receive one-to-one tutor feedback and personalized guidance, and a
number of extra-curricular activities are offered in addition to free attendance at regular events organized by the Institutes for professionals in the field.
The course will enable participants to develop an international network of contacts
with students and Fellows at IALS, IMLR and across the School of Advanced Study as a whole, immersed in a world-leading research environment. In addition, LLM students have access to the unparalleled holdings of the University of London libraries.
For details of entry and language requirements, tuition fees, funding opportunities,
disability support, accommodation and how to apply, please consult the School
graduate study webpages. School graduate study webpages: sas.ac.uk/graduate-study
For information on our new LLM in Legal Translation, please contact Juliette Scott at the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies: firstname.lastname@example.org
Detailed course descriptions and information about assessment will be available here on the Institute’s graduate study webpages.