CETRA SUMMER SCHOOL 2017
CETRA SUMMER SCHOOL 2017
29TH RESEARCH SUMMER SCHOOL IN TRANSLATION STUDIES
UNIVERSITY OF LEUVEN, BELGIUM
28 AUG – 8 SEP 2017
The CETRA Board has appointed
LEO TAK-HUNG CHAN (LINGNAN UNIVERSITY, HONG KONG)
as CETRA Chair Professor for the 29th Summer School
Prof. Chan’s bio note can be found here.
For all information about the application procedure (with two rounds and two deadlines!), the scholarships and the venue, please go to this page.
In 1989 José Lambert created a special research program in Translation Studies at the University of Leuven in order to promote research training in the study of translational phenomena and to stimulate high-level research into the cultural functions of translation. Since then, this unique program has attracted talented PhD students, postdocs and young scholars who spend two weeks of research under the supervision of a team of prominent scholars, and under the supervision of the Chair Professor, an annually appointed expert in the field of Translation Studies. From 1989 on, the program has hosted participants from Austria to Australia, from Brazil to Burundi, and from China to the Czech Republic. As an illustration of the multi-campus model of CETRA, the 2016 edition of the Summer School will be organized at the Antwerp campus of the KU Leuven, in the city center of Antwerp.
The list of CETRA professors may serve as an illustration of the program’s openness to the different currents in the international world of Translation Studies: Gideon Toury (Tel Aviv, 1989), †Hans Vermeer (Heidelberg, 1990), Susan Bassnett (Warwick, 1991), Albrecht Neubert (Leipzig, 1992), Daniel Gile (Paris, 1993), Mary Snell-Hornby (Vienna, 1994), †André Lefevere (Austin, 1995), Anthony Pym (Tarragona, 1996), Yves Gambier (Turku, 1997), Lawrence Venuti (Philadelphia, 1998), Andrew Chesterman (Helsinki, 1999), Christiane Nord (Magdeburg, 2000), Mona Baker (Manchester, 2001), Maria Tymoczko (Amherst, Massachusetts, 2002), Ian Mason (Edinburgh, 2003), Michael Cronin (Dublin, 2004), †Daniel Simeoni (Toronto, 2005), Harish Trivedi (Delhi, 2006), †Miriam Shlesinger (Tel Aviv, 2007), Kirsten Malmkjaer (London, 2008), †Martha Cheung (Hong Kong, 2009), Sherry Simon (Montreal, 2010), Christina Schaeffner (Aston, 2011), Franz Pöchhacker (Vienna, 2012), Michaela Wolf (Graz, 2013), Arnt Lykke Jakobsen (Copenhagen, 2014), Judy Wakabayashi (Kent, USA, 2015), Jeremy Munday (Leeds, 2016)
Basic activities and components of the Research Summer School:
- Public Lectures by the CETRA Professor on key topics. A preliminary reading list will be provided and all topics are to be further developed in discussions
- Theoretical-methodological seminars given by the CETRA staff. Basic reading materials will be made available in advance
- Tutorials: individual discussions on participants’ research with the CETRA Professor and the CETRA staff
- Workshops in small groups according to topic or methodology
- Students’ papers: presentation of participants’ individual research projects followed by open discussion
- Publication: each participant is invited to submit an article based on the presentation, to be refereed and published on the CETRA Digital Shelf