[CFP] Second Hong Kong Baptist University International Conference on Interpreting
Second Hong Kong Baptist University International Conference on Interpreting
Theme: COGNITIVE APPROACHES
Dates: 8-9 April 2021
Venue: Dr. Wu Yee Sun Lecture Theatre (WLB109), Shaw Campus, Hong Kong Baptist University
Organizers: Centre for Translation and Department of Translation, Interpreting and Intercultural Studies, Hong Kong Baptist University
Cognitive approaches to studying interpreting have been one of the main streams of research in Interpreting Studies since the 1970s. Recently, as new perspectives continue to form and new methodologies continue to be adopted and as a result of increasing inter-disciplinary cross-pollination, the field of Interpreting Studies has seen a resurgence of cognition-related research, not only in spoken language interpreting, but also in signed language interpreting. Riding on this exciting new wave and continuing our tradition of having a targeted theme, we aspire to use this platform to bring together top and promising scholars in both spoken language interpreting and signed language interpreting to Hong Kong.
This conference is the second “Hong Kong Baptist University International Conference on Interpreting”. The first conference was held in 2017 with the theme History of Interpreting.
CALL FOR PAPERS
We welcome oral presentations and posters on both basic and applied research that fit the sub-themes of the conference or that are related to the conference theme in a broader sense.
- bimodal and unimodal bilingualism and their implications in interpreting studies
- modality (bimodal or unimodal) effects in interpreting
- cognitive processes and constructs in different modalities and modes of interpreting
- neurological substrates of interpreting
- attention and memory in interpreting
- cognitive workload in different modes of interpreting
- cognitive considerations in machine-aided interpreting
- cognitive abilities as interpreting aptitude
- cognition-informed training of interpreters
- skill acquisition and attrition in interpreters
- interpreter’s cognition throughout the life span
The language of the conference is English.
Length of presentations: 30 minutes (20 minutes for presentation and 10 minutes for discussion)
Poster presentation sessions will be held during the conference breaks. Poster presentation guidelines will be sent with the notification of acceptance.
Submissions must include the following information:
- name of author(s)
- email address
- title and an abstract of 300-400 words
- 3-5 keywords
- short author biography of 50 to 100 words
All submissions must be submitted in Word 2010 or later versions to email@example.com by 15 November 2020. Notifications of acceptance will be sent by email by 15 December 2020.
- Call for papers: 15 August 2020
- Deadline for submission of proposals: 15 November 2020
- Notification of acceptance: 15 December 2020
- Registration of presenters: December 2020 – end of February 2021
- Registration of participants: until mid-March 2021
- Registration for pre-conference workshop: until 31 March 2021
- Deadline for Early Bird registration: 15 January 2021
- Programme available on-line: early March 2021